Tuesday, September 9, 2008

1st workshop-Material Modelling

As we do not have any model making projects on semester one, I think that this material modelling workshop would be suitable for me as it helps developing skills on model making, which also could help with other model related projects for further years.

The first week we started with some basic modeling skills and techniques, such as making simple cubes and pyramids. I think it is very useful, as we have to make a site model for our design studio that was due on the week after; therefore the skills learnt from the workshop could instantly be used on making the site model, especially on how to make the model precise, such as ways to cut the boxboard (balsa wood) and considering the thickness of the boxboard as well.
We also did a 1:1 model of an object that is besides us, in a group of 2. My teammate and I did a replication of a UHU glue. This exercise was fun, where it helped me to develop communicating and observation skills, as we have to measure the glue and spilt up what parts we have to do.

Then on the next week we started on making a model of a place that I was used to. Our aim was to alter the place creatively so that it forms another architectural space.

Here are some photos for my space before alternation:




























































The place I chose to make is my room, where I spent most of my time at home in. I didn’t like this place much because it is quite a small place when all the furniture was moved in, but it could not be seen through the model. Therefore I added the furniture as well in the model(but I forgot to take photos after the furniture were put inside).

Another thing that I didn’t like about was that there is a weird diagonal space in the corner of the room. It is a small space where nothing could put in to fill the space, therefore I started to put my used garbage in that space. I didn’t like that at all.









































































Moreover, my apartment is located in Pyrmont, which is not far from Darling Harbour. However, the space was blocked by surrounding buildings and the view was not good as well.

Therefore I wanted to change all these weak points and make a room that I feel comfortable living with.
________________________________________________________________

What I first did is to eliminate the weird diagonal space. Actually I made use of that diagonal and made a cut along the line to the wall opposite. Then I tilted it and made it perpendicular to the wall adjacent. Therefore a bigger space was created. I also extended the walls so that the space was made bigger as well. Moreover, for the view, I simply added another level on top so that I could get a better view of Darling Habour.

This is the outcome of the space.






















The main theme of the alternation is spiltting and tilting.







































Other furnitures are also put into the model (which are the same as what I have in my room now) to show how the space has increased, so it didnt feel so crowded as before.

I also included this as the background of the model, which helps to show that the view of the room has become better. (I cropped the image as it is too long to fit in my model.




Another thing we had to make for the assignment was a photo collage of the model. The theme of my collage was the process of change of my room. The left (covered with red spikes) was the room I am now living in, and the right was the ideal room I wanted to live in. For the left hand side, I drew the plan of my room out, where oversized furniture were cut and randomly pasted onto the plan, so you can feel how crowd and uncomfortable the space is. The red spikes has put emphasis on how disturbed I am when I am living in this uncomfortable space.









Then it shows in the middle on how I wanted to alter the space, like what I said above. The main concept in the collage is that i cut up the original photo of my room(actully, the model of it) and arranged it into the shape of the room I liked. Then on the right is the altered version of my room, where you can see how I put emphasis on the computer desk, which is the place I usually were at(because my room is too small and I have nowhere to go!) The colour turns to a blue colour and the lines became smooth organic lines, which shows the calmness and how I am satisfied with this place.


After attending the material modeling workshop, I think it really useful; as it taught me with the basics of model making, which helped me a lot when making models for the deign studio. It also helped my with the thinking skills that helped me think a lot more for the design studio as well. Overall,I think the material modeling workshop is a quite fun and useful workshop to start with, and I am quite satisfied with the learning outcome of it.

No comments: